Today’s personal transportation system is inefficient and costly. Every year on a global basis:
- There are eight million traffic accidents which cost 1.3 million lives and injure more than seven million people
- We waste 90 billion hours in traffic jams, generating 220 million metric tons of carbon equivalent
- Traffic congestion wastes at least $1 trillion, or two percent of the global gross domestic product (GDP)
Imagine bringing the Internet to the road to keep roads safer, less congested, and cleaner by building a unified communications network platform for vehicles. This is a reality……….
Developers are constructing a highly secure end-to-end network architecture to optimize communication links and mobility services to and from connected cars.
The “Internet of vehicles” will also create new business models: from building and servicing cars, providing cloud-based infotainment and location-based services, to crash prevention and intelligent traffic management.
But, it’s not just business that will win. Everyone has something to gain:
- Vehicle users can save in operating expenses each year
- Society wins by saving in reducing the cost of crashes and traffic congestion
- Auto manufacturers can increase their profitability by providing connected vehicle care
- Connecting vehicles will give rise to entirely new businesses
Communication and Internet technologies are critical in delivering new connected vehicle services through universal, highly secure connectivity from vehicle to vehicle (V2V), vehicle to infrastructure (V2X), vehicle to devices, and from vehicle to the cloud.
This exciting transportation transformation is going to be an exciting ride……………..